Welcome to day #4 of Fall Countdown; preparing you and your home for the beautiful new season that starts TOMORROW! Today I am sharing a common scenario I seem to face when I I'm out looking for the perfect fall arrangement....and my solution. This solution entails one of the most simple seasonal decorating DIY tutorials in existence (which is why even you non DIY'ers out there will like it too!)
When it comes to any sort of seasonal floral arrangement, simple can be the most beautiful. When I'm out looking around at arrangements I either find one I love, (but don't love the price tag) or, nothing jumps out at me at all. I knew there had to be a solution.
Light bulb moment
A few years ago I was rummaging around our boxes in the basement and happened upon some "stray" artificial leaves. They must have fallen off some other decor I used in the past, and were left in the box. There was a handful of these leaves; not enough for a full arrangement, but just enough for something very simple. So, here's what I did:
I made my own "minimalist" arrangement, using a single branch from the yard, and the handful of leaves I found; eleven to be exact. The leaves were a variety of colors and sizes. Bonus.
Here is what I used to pull this 15 minute seasonal DIY project together....
1. Artificial leaves (you could use real ones, but they will become crunchy and brown, and no one wants crunchy brown leaves in their house) A handful of leaves is all you need. I used eleven leaves.
2. Glue gun. If you don't have one, super glue, or even regular school glue would work
3. Tree branch, or large twig with several "arms" (looks more tree-like)
4. Vase, jar, or wine bottle
1. Find a branch with a decent stem, about 6-8 inches long. You'll need a long enough stem to place in your vase or jar. I used a glass bottle with a narrow opening which helped secure my large, akward branch in place.
2. Decide where you want each each leaf. Apply glue to those areas on the branch, and stick your leaves on.
3. Place the stem in your bottle, and admire your new fall foliage arrangement, "minimalist" style!
AND THAT IS IT.
What do you think? Was I right? One of the simplest seasonal DIY projects in human existance! This arrangement has made an appearance in our house over the last three fall seasons. This year it's going back up on the mantle.....
If you don't already have any old fall arrangements with leaves, or stray leaves (like I had hiding at the bottom of a box) you can find them many places:
- Dollar store. Remove a handful of leaves from the arrangement, and use them for your awesome new "minimalist" fall accessory! The leaves will look less fake once they are glued to your authentic branch. Trust me.
- Second hand stores. Rummage around through their "floral" section. You're bound find some fall leaves in that pile!
Whether you are a DIY-er or not, if you're looking to dress your home up with a little more "fall" this season, (and don't want to spend money or time) why not give this super simple fall leaf "arrangement" a try?! I don't think you'll regret it!
Happy Fall and happy branch hunting!
Like SIMPLE DIY projects? Check out more tutorials from my blog below...