Once in a while I'll post a favorite "Friday Find". A Friday find is a home decor item that was purchased second-hand, and is a smashing hit for accessorizing the home! These second-hand gems (aka "thrifted finds") have so much potential, and are waiting patiently to be snatched up.......by YOU!
Today's find: TRAYS
Trays are a simple home accessory yet can be used in SO many ways. Here's why trays are so love-able in our home:
1. Trays serve many uses (for remote controls, perfumes, lotions, candles, books, and the list goes on)
2. They can be easily updated and customized to match your home (paint them, line with your favorite fabric, or contact paper)
3. They are dynamite gift ideas for friends & family
4 They add an extra decorative touch to any surface like a kitchen table, dresser, or buffet.
Let's look at some brand new ones shall we?
Now, let's take a look at some "thrifted" trays......
"Wait. What? These trays aren't new?" Nope! The best part is that they were $4.99 a piece".
The trays in the photos below were all updated with paint and fabric. I WISH I had photos of what they looked like before! I love a soft furry animal as much as the next person, but not on trays!! Using paint and fabric, it was time to say good-bye to stenciled kittens, and hearts, and hello to funky patterns and colors.....
Notice the extra touch on the tray below.... gold drawer pulls. I used carpenter grade "liquid nails", to attach the pulls to the tray. I found the handles at the ReStore for $1.
Look at that combination of gold and plaid.....
I found a great tray. Now what?
Not all trays are created equal. Some trays can be left as is, right off the thrifting rack (like the first wooden tray you saw above). The only care they need is a good washing. Just use warm soapy water.
Other trays need some TLC. Here's how:
- Wash it
- Paint it
- Line the tray (use fabric, contact paper, or decorative scrapbook paper)
- If using fabric, or scrapbook paper to line the bottom, "paint" on some mod podge to the surface, and lay your fabric. Smooth out creases. Let dry.
Trays: great home accents
Trays; perfect accents for any room in the house. They are also multi-functional, easy to update, and customize to your color scheme and style.
On that note.....
Be sure to check in next week for my tutorial on how to make one of these delightful little home accessories for yourself!
Enjoy your weekend!
See more blog posts on Thrifting below......