Welcome! Today I am kicking off the first featured home owner on the blog and this month our home owners are Katie & Scott. Katie & Scott own a beautiful ranch and the pride they take in their home shows. Its neutral interiors provides the perfect backdrop to showcase Katie and Scott's favorite things. And that's what decorating is all about; displaying the things you love and pulling it all together piece by piece. To find out more about this blog series and how can you be featured, click this link: www.novodecorco.com/blogposts/callingdecorenthusiasts
When I asked Katie & Scott if they would participate in the feature, Katie responded, "We would love to". I had a feeling they would, as it is obvious they enjoy decorating! Katie & Scott chose their bedroom for the featured room. I gave them a short questionnaire prior to viewing their room, and we talked a bit more about it as I snapped photos. Here is what they had to say:
1. Why did you choose this room? "It is our sanctuary". Katie also stated that the fireplace plays a huge role in the time they spend in the room (especially during the winter months). Who wouldn't love a remote control fireplace to click on before rolling out of bed?
2. How did you determine the color palette for this room? "The house started in neutrals so that we can bring any color in." Throughout the home, there are large statement pieces hung on the wall which bring in color beautifully. The decor in their featured room also stands out against the neutral walls.
3. Is there something in this room that tell your story? If so, what? "Yes. Each piece tells part of "our" story". Katie mentioned gifts they have given to each other, like the artwork above the mantle. Katie and Scott also love to travel, and they enjoy displaying memorable items and photos from their travels.
4. Why did you choose the furniture and accessories you did for this room? "It starts with function, comfort, and practicality but has to have a certain aesthetic." Katie stated the room is not very large, so they made sure not to clutter the space. All the decor in the room holds meaning to them both, which is important when deciding what to display.
5. How much time have you spent making this room appear as it is now? Both agree that it is a continual process, "constantly evolving and changing." "Changes were as recent as this week."
6. Do you have any future plans for this room? If so what? "We'd like hardwood floors, but otherwise we are pleased with the space"
7. Has anything been particularly challenging about styling/decorating this room? "The room is not huge so we don't want it to feel cluttered." Upon entering the room, I didn't see or feel clutter at all. A light, beach theme was obvious. Katie and Scott like their neutral color palette because it has allowed flexibility for adding colors in their accents.
8. How does this room make you feel? "As our sanctuary, it is our place to hide out, de-stress, and recharge. It helps us escape." Don't we all need a room like that in our home? I know I do! Do you have a room in your house that serves as your "sanctuary?"
Creating a space with the things we love involves many components. From our color choices, patterns and fabrics, to decor, and furniture, every component in a room has the potential to make a room our own. And rooms evolve as we evolve! That is what makes decorating great! We can tweak as our tastes and moods change.
Thank you Katie & Scott for sharing your awesome room with us!
Join me next month for another awesome room!!
Do you have a room in your house that you'd love to show off? Click below to send me an email! I'd be happy to add you to the 2016 line-up of home-owners!
Receive updates, and information on new products, services, and events by entering your information below!
See more home owner's styles in the posts below!